Schedule of Events (all times listed in EDT)
Wednesday, June 22
12:45: Registration Opens
1:30-2:45 | Rote Teaching: A New Paradigm
- Teaching students by rote (by imitation without initial reference to the score) allows students to develop their memory, ears, and technique without the added complication of reading the notation. This workshop will present practical strategies for how to introduce a Rote Piece and also discuss what elements make a good Rote Piece.
2:45-3:15 | Coffee and Light Snacks
- Browse Piano Safari materials
3:15-4:30 | Foundations for Musical Literacy: Reading and Rhythm
- Reading music is a foundational component of musical literacy. A carefully paced system for teaching students to read music notation is vitally important. Piano Safari presents an intervallic approach that provides extensive reinforcement for each interval. This system, combined with concepts learned in rote pieces, gives students the ability to tackle difficult looking scores with confidence.
4:30-5:00 | Questions and Discussion
Thursday, June 23
8:30-9:00 | Coffee and Browse Piano Safari materials.
9:00-10:30 | The Essentials of Beginning Technique
- Even the youngest student can learn to play with excellent technique. Based on Dr. Julie Knerr Hague’s extensive doctoral research, the Piano Safari Technical Exercises focus on the technical motions that are essential for proper development. Explore strategies for teaching fundamental concepts such as arm weight, rounded hand shape, rotation, and fast repeated notes. A suggested sequence for the presentation of articulations such as staccato, legato, and slurs will also be addressed.
10:30-11:00 | Coffee and Light Snacks
- Browse Piano Safari materials.
11:00-12:00 | The Transformative Triad: Rote, Technique, and Improvisation
- Are you a teacher who hopes to inspire motivation and creativity in your piano students? This workshop will investigate how rote teaching and technical development lay the foundation for improvisation and composition. Specific strategies for teaching improvisation to beginners will be provided.